Application Process for Children of TUM EmployeesRead out
Information for employees of the Technical University of Munich (TUM) regarding the application process for the childcare facilities of the “Studentische Eltern-Kind-Initiativen e.V.”
- One parent must be employed at the TUM as scientific or non-academic staff for at least 19 hours per week, be an apprentice at the TUM or a graduating member of the TUM Graduate School.
- When the child starts going to the childcare facility, the employment or apprenticeship at the TUM must last for at least another six months. Proof must be provided by the employees when being added to the waiting list as well as when signing the contract.
- Should the employment or apprenticeship end while a child is still attending a facility, it can only remain there until the end of that year's term.
- The parents are also required to agree to their facility’s concept and regulations (in the case of the "Pfifferlinge" crèche, membership in the Student Parent Initiative Pfifferlinge e. V. is also required).
- Pfifferlinge Crèche
Arcisstr. 17, 80333 München
- Sonnenkäfer Crèche
Boltzmannstr. 15, 85748 Garching
- “Ingeborg-Ortner Kinderhaus” Garching
(crèche + kindergarten)
Lichtenbergstr. 3, 85748 Garching
- “Kindervilla” Freising
Weihenstephaner Steig 17, 85354 Freising
- “Krabbelstube” Weihenstephan e. V.
Emil-Erlenmeyer-Forum 4, 85354 Freising
You can find our data privacy statement at:
- You can only apply after your child has been born.
- Children can start at the childcare centre from 0 years.
- You can register your child for 5-days-a-week childcare using this application form (available at TUM.family, contact details below). Daily booking times can be decided on when signing the contract.
- Please send the application form including all required documents (proof of employment at the TUM; birth certificate) to the following address:
Studieren mit Kind
- After we have received and checked your application, you will receive an email confirming your application.
- Once a year, you will be required to confirm that you are still interested in a place. Every year in December, the Munich Student Union will ask for confirmation by sending an automatically generated email to all the email addresses provided by the parents in the application forms. Due to the large mailing list, it is possible that, depending on your mail software, the email might end up in your spam folder. Should you not receive a confirmation request via email in the course of December, please contact the Munich Student Union, department Studying with a Child, immediately. Should we not receive a confirmation within the time period specified in the email, your child will be removed from the waiting list.
Places are allocated by the management of the childcare facility according to the place on the waiting list in following priority groups, agreed upon in cooperation with the TUM:
Group 1: Priority will be given to children whose parents are both employed at the TUM according to the admission criteria and to children of single parents. (We can only treat you as a single parent if you hand in what is called a “negative confirmation” issued by the Jugendamt.) In order to qualify for this priority group, both parents or the single parent must start work at the TUM again no later than 3 months after the the child starts in the childcare centre. This will be verified when the places are allocated. If this is not the case, priority group 2 applies.
Group 2: Priority will be given to children with one parent employed at the TUM according to the admission criteria and the second parent employed elsewhere.
Group 3: Children attending the above-mentioned childcare facilities will be given priority when their parents move to a different place of employment with the TUM. Priority groups 2 and 3 only apply to parents employed at the TUM who will start work again no later than 3 months after the the child starts in the childcare centre. This will be verified when the places are allocated. If this is not the case, priority group 4 applies.
Group 4: Children whose parents fulfil the admission criteria but do not classify for groups 1 to 3.
If two applicants are in the same priority group, the application date will determine who gets the place. Should the date on the waiting list be the same too, a decision will be made by drawing lots.
The following aspects are also taken into account for the allocation of places:
- Children attending the crèche in the same facility, will be given priority for the kindergarten of this facility.
- Children whose siblings go to the same facility and will stay there for at least 3 more months will be given priority to children of the same priority group. If an extremely difficult family situation can be proved by the employed parents, the child can be given priority by the facility upon validation of the case by the TUM, should the general situation in the facility permit.
- For educational reasons, the final decision on who will be accepted is made by the management of the childcare facility, in order to put together groups that are suitable educationally regarding age and gender.
- The admission criteria “employment at the TUM” as well as the necessary documents for fulfilling the criteria for groups 1, 2 and 3 must be provided by the parents when the child is put on the waiting list.
- When you receive the place and sign the contract, all the required up-to-date documents proving the criteria are fulfilled must be handed in again.
- When you receive a place in one of our childcare centres, we will check that the parent(s) are due to actively start work again at the TUM at least 3 months after the child starts in the childcare centre. For this, parents are not required to provide any documents. Verification will be carried out by the TUM.