Tips for moving in

The summary of "Tips for moving in" can be found here as Checklist for new arrivals.

When moving in you should pay attention to:

Residence Registration

  • In Germany the registration of residence is a duty.
  • Students have to register their residence in Munich at the department of public order (KVR) in the Residence Registration office (Bürgerbüro). For further information please click here.
  • For the registration you need a landlord confirmation (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung). You will receive the landlord confirmation a few days after moving in from the responsible administration office from the Studentenwerk.
  • Please register within two weeks after moving in at one of the Residence Registration offices. You will receive further information via e-mail after moving in.
  • Students at the Hochschulorte Garching, Oberschleißheim, Rosenheim und Freising have to register at the Residence registration offices of the respective city:

Licence fee

  • Every household in Germany has to pay a certain fee for using the internet, radio and TV.
  • Students living in dormitories also have the duty to pay. (Only students who get BAföG can be exempted.)
  • The licence fee is not inlcuded in the monthly rent.
  • It is not possible within rental law, that the landlord (Studentenwerk) pays the licence fee for the students.

  • By clicking here you will find further information about the licence fee from the Studentenwerk. 
  • An explanation can be found on the flyer from the ARD ZDF Beitragsservice.
  • After students have registered their residence in Munich, the Residence Registration office usually transfers the data to the ARD ZDF Beitragsservice. Consequently every resident will be contacted seperately and has to react to avoid possible consequences.

Bank account

  • The Studentenwerk will withdraw the money from your bank account approximately on the eighth of each month by SEPA direct debit mandate.
  • The deposit will be debited from your account on the end of the month of moving in.
  • Students without an european bank account or students who do not have a bank account from the following list have to open a bank account at a german bank.
  • Students from the following countries can use their bank account from their home country:
    Country ISO-Code IBAN-Length
    Belgien BE 16
    Deutschland DE 22
    Estland EE 20
    Frankreich FR 27
    Griechenland GR 27
    Irland IE 22
    Italien IT 27
    Lettland LV 21
    Litauen LT 20
    Luxemburg LU 20
    Malta MT 31
    Monaco MC 27
    Niederlande NL 18
    Österreich AT 20
    Portugal (inkl. Azoren und Madeira) PT 25
    San Marino SM 27
    Spanien (inkl. Kanaren) ES 24
    Zypern CY 28
  • Attention: Please clarify with your bank that the Studentenwerk is allowed to withdraw from your bank account!

Room control after moving in

  • The Studentenwerk has to rent the rooms seamlessly because the accommodation is government-subsidised.
  • Therefore it could be possible that the room still has to pe painted or there are damages in your room.
  • Wenn moving in/key issuing the tenant will receive a formula, on which damages and the like of the room have to be recorded.
  • Be aware that current damages that are not reported within two weeks after moving in will be deducted from your deposit after moving out.

Internet connection

  • Every tenant has a room with an internet connection. (Cable, not WLAN)
  • This connection is only for the use of study purposes.
  • When moving in you will receive an IP-address from the administration office. After setting it up you can use the internet.
  • The user agreement for the data network is part of the tenant contract (annex 3).


  • Subletting to matriculated students for a maximum of one semester is possible with approval from the Studentenwerk (e.g. during the semesterbreak or for study reasons such as ERASMUS, internship etc.). For further information please ask at the respective administration office.
  • Please register the subletting at the respective administration office.
  • If you sublet your room without approval or to a overpriced rent you will be given a termination without notice.

Reasons for prolongation of stay

  • House spokesmen or tutors
  • Honorarium (special involvement in the resident halls, voluntary position)
  • Network administrators
  • Operators of communal facilities

Living in a student accommodation

To support the students in their daily lifes at the halls of residence the Studentenwerk offers important rules as well as a hall of residence dictionary here.

[Translate to English:] Downloads

Questions or suggestions?

Send us an email!