Important information for international students participating in an exchange program (like ERASMUS):
The Munich Student Union/Studentenwerk München gives a certain number of rooms to your establishment. This is why students participating in an exchange program (like ERASMUS) can unfortunately not apply for accomodation in a hall's of residence online. Thank you for addressing your need to your establishment.

Students wishing to apply for a room in a Munich Student Union hall of residence are required to fulfil certain eligibility criteria.

Eligibility criteria

1 Application eligibility criteria

The allocation of a room in a Munich Student hall of residence represents indirect government funding. In comparison to the total number of apartment-seeking students, only a small number of rooms are available. The following application and registration requirements aim to ensure the fairest possible distribution of government-subsidised accommodation. By submitting their application for a space in a residency run by the Munich Student Union, students agree to the following terms and conditions.

1.1 Who can apply?

  • Students at the following universities:

    • Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität (LMU)

    • Technische Universität München (TUM)

    • Hochschule München (HM)

    • Hochschule für Musik und Theater (HMTM)

    • Hochschule für Politik (HfP)

    • Sprachen & Dolmetscher Insititut München (SDI)

    • Blocherer Schulen

    • Katholische Stiftungshochschule (KSH)

    • Technische Hochschule Rosenheim (TH Rosenheim)
      (only for our halls of residence in Rosenheim)

    • Hochschule Weihenstephan (HSWT)
      (only for our halls of residencein Freising)

    • Hochschule für Fernsehen und Film (HFF)

    • Akademie der Bildenden Künste (AdBK)

    • Hochschule für Philosophie (HfPh)

    • Hochschule der Bayerischen Wirtschaft (HDBW)

    • International School of Management (ISM)
      (only those students who pay the student union fee)
  • Students whose monthly income does not exceed the BAföG maximum rate

  • Students taking part in a double degree program or dual studies at one of the above mentioned universities (Students taking part in the german course of the universities can only apply one year before their program officially starts and will only get a room when they are officially enrolled and the course begins. Students taking part in the Studienkolleg can apply as soon as their classes at Studienkolleg start, but they will not get a room before their course of studies at university starts.)

  • Applicants taking part in a "Freiwilliges Soziales Jahr" (FSJ) (voluntary social year), "Freiwilliges Ökologisches Jahr" (FÖJ) (voluntary ecological year) or "Bundesfreiwilligendienst" (federal voluntary service) can only remain on the waiting list if their proof of acceptance is available and they hand in a confirmation from the FSJ, FÖJ or "Bundesfreiwilligendienst"
  • Doctoral students/PhD-students if matriculated

  • Students who have been living in our rooms before and have the right to at least stay for another year in our students halls' of residence

1.2 Who can not apply?

  • Erasmus, program and exchange students

  • Interns

  • "Sportlehrer im freien Beruf" at TUM

  • Students whose parents are living in the MVV area (not valid for the campus in Rosenheim and Freising)
  • Students who have already been living in our students halls' of residence for 2 or 3 years or students who are not allowed to stay for at least another year

  • Students who have a tenant contract with the Studentenwerk

2 In General

You can apply online. If you meet the requirements form 1.1 please click on Online application.

You can apply for up to three residencies at the main place of study. The order of the chosen residences may not be seen as a list of priorities.

Please consider that an offer made by the Student Services (Studentenwerk München) is binding. This means, if you don't accept the offer your application expires. You have the possibility to apply again but the waiting time of your first application will NOT be taken into account then.

2.1 Dates

Students can apply for the winter term from 15th of May in the year when their studies begin and for the summer term from 15th of November in the year before their studies begin. (Exception: Students who are already studying in Munich, Freising or Rosenheim.)

2.2 Certificate of matriculation

In order to update the waiting list, it is necessary for every applicant to renew his or her application every semester by uploading a valid certificate of matriculation in his/her account. The closing dates for this renewal are the 1st of November for the winter term/semester and the 1st of May for the summer term/semester. If the certificate of matriculation is not uploaded to this dates the application will be deactivated. You can apply without certificate at first. But the certificate of matriculation has to be uploaded at the latest to the above mentioned date.


If you apply between 02. - 14. of November or between 02. - 14. of May you have to upload a valid certificate of matriculation immediately.

When the rental contract is signed students have to at least show their certificat of enrolment, certificate of matriculation or student card.

2.3 Waiting times

Waiting times may take up to 1-5 semesters depending on the residential complex. Your waiting period may be increased due to extending the duration of your stay, renovation, construction, etc. Therefore, the time given offers no guarantee of availability.

In general, the Student Union applies a waiting list for its allocations. In order to prevent issues, some exceptions may have to be made”.

We do not provide information about the actual position on the waiting list. Applicants will be informed per E-Mail as soon as it is their turn (about 6-8 weeks before the rental period starts).

2.4 Duration of Stay

Lease contracts are finalized as short-term for a maximum of six semesters (Bachelor students, state examination, diploma and magister programm) or for a maximum of four semesters (Master students). Doctoral students/PhD-students are allowed to stay for a maximum of two semesters.

In general the given contract term depends on the length of the current course of study. This means the term of the contract will not exceed the end of the current course. The certificate of matriculation serves as a basic for the contract term. Proof might be requested. In exceptional cases a prolongation is possible.

It is possible to pause the duration of stay (Internships, semester abroad, etc.) when the student still has two semesters left to stay (Restwohnzeit). Therefore the student has to come at least three months before the desired moving date to the administration office in person to apply for the pause. The resumption is only possible in the initial residence. The exact same accommodation can not be claimed.

2.5 Rent deposit

The rent deposit (Kaution) is normally between 100 and 400 EUR.

2.6 Change of application

A change of application is possible only once in the first year of the application without impairment of the waiting times.

Every other change or changes from the second year of the application will lead to a change of the application date. This means that the waiting times will be lost and the application starts from the new date. Applicants who have already received an accommodation offer (Festanschreiben) are not allowed to change the application.

Changes can not be made by the students but only through our employees. Therefore please contact

3 Special Cases

 3.1 Cases of Hardship

Students with health problems or those who find themselves in difficult social situations can apply for preferential treatment in the allocation of accommodation in a residential complex. The following reasons may qualify an applicant as a hardship case: illness, disability and pregnancy. Single parent students also have presidency.

Please make your application, including all the necessary documents (such as written confirmation of illness, disability or pregnancy from your doctor) to

Financial problems cannot be taken into consideration.

3.2 Married couple-apartment and family apartments or mother-child-apartments

The applicant has to send the application - like in the cases of hardship - with the necessary documents to