Language examinations

Read out and MP3 download   Read out

Other than in a few exceptional cases, international students are required to pass a language exam before beginning their studies.

DSH (German Language Test for the Admittance to Universities of Foreign Student Applicants)

One possibility is to pass the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (DSH) (German Language Test for the Admittance to Universities of Foreign Student Applicants), which can be sat in Munich at the 'Deutschkurse bei der Universität München e.V.' (German courses at the University of Munich). Examples of DSH examinations can be found here.

Enquire about examination dates at the International Academic Office (Akademisches Auslandsamt) of your chosen university.

TestDaF (Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache)

The second possibility is to take the Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaf) (Test German as a Foreign Language), which is likely to be offered in your home country. The addresses of all of the test centers can be found at the TestDaf homepage. Even if you want to sit TestDaf, it is worth contacting the International Academic Office of your chosen university, since many universities offer courses and even semesters aimed specifically at preparing overseas applicants for their studies in Munich.


A comparison of the two examinations (what is the difference between DSH and TestDaF?) can be found here (pdf).