Semester Ticket Munich (entire MVV area)Read out
Do you walk to university or do you take the bike? Or do you need to use public transport? This could be the main reason to decide for or against the MVV semester ticket.
The mandatory solidarity fee, which is 69.40 euros, entitles you to use the MVV during certain hours. If you decide to also buy the IsarCard for 201.60 euros, you can use public transport at any time.
After the clear result of the student ballot held in December 2012, the semester ticket of the MVV (Munich Transport Association) was introduced in the 2013/2014 winter semester. After a pilot phase and a new vote in November 2016, the semester ticket was permanently introduced in the summer semester of 2017. In accordance with Bavarian university regulations, the Munich Student Union is responsible for implementing the semester ticket and negotiating contracts with the institutions responsible for local public transport.
Basically, all students studying at one of the following universities are entitled to buy a semester ticket, apart from guest students and dual students.
From the summer semester 2021 onwards, following universities will be participating:
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich
- Technical University of Munich with the exception of the departments Straubing and Singapore
- University of Applied Sciences Munich
- Catholic University of Applied Sciences, Munich department
- University of Music and Performing Arts Munich
- Academy of Fine Arts Munich
- International University SDI Munich
- Munich School of Philosophy
- Bavarian School of Public Policy Munich
- Weihenstephan-Triesdorf University of Applied Sciences with the exception of the department Triesdorf
- University of Television and Film Munich
- Hochschule der Bayerischen Wirtschaft
- International School of Management (ISM), (Munich Campus)
Further universities may participate in the project following an internal vote. However, implementing the ticket requires a time frame of at least 12 months, and the semester ticket can only be introduced at the beginning of a new summer semester.
The MVV semester ticket
The MVV semester ticket consists of two parts:
- A mandatory solidarity fee paid by all students, which allows students to use MVV services (zones M-6) with their valid student ID within a certain time period.
- A MVV ticket called “IsarCard Semester”, which students can decide to buy additionally at MVV machines or ticket desks. It entitles students to use public transport in the entire MVV area (zones M-6) at any hour of the day.
More information on the Munich semester ticket and its history can be found at: http://www.semesterticket-muenchen.de/
1. The Solidarity Fee
The solidarity fee for the MVV semester ticket, which is mandatory for all students, is 67.40 euros per semester in the winter semester 2020/2021 and will be 69.40 euros from the summer semester 2021 onwards. This entitles students to travel in the MVV area with their student ID during following hours:
- Monday to Friday between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. of the following day
- Saturdays, Sundays and on bank holidays at all hours
You are allowed to travel second class within the entire MVV area (zones M-6) and with all modes of MVV transport (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, tram, bus and authorised regional trains). Only a valid student ID in combination with an official photo ID qualifies as your ticket - your certificate of matriculation is not sufficient!
The solidarity fee is collected by the universities.
Only severely disabled persons can apply for exemption from this fee if they are in possession of a pass entitling them to travel on public transport free of charge (including the corresponding certification by the Office for Families and Social Affairs/Amt für Familie und Soziales).
If you have any questions regarding the charges of the solidarity fee or the issuing of a student ID that can be used as an MVV ticket as explained above, please contact the university you will be matriculating or re-registering at. More detailed information can be found on the individual universities’ websites:
Technical University of Munich with the exception of the departments Straubing und Singapore
Weihenstephan-Triesdorf University of Applied Sciences with the exception of the department Triesdorf
2. The IsarCard Semester
The IsarCard Semester is an optional season ticket which is valid for one semester and entitles its holder to unlimited second-class travel within the entire MVV area with all modes of MVV transport (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, tram, bus and authorised regional trains).
The IsarCard Semester costs 195.70 euros in the winter semester 2020/2021 and is going to cost 201.60 euros from the summer semester 2021 onwards. It can be purchased at the MVG ticket machines, machines at the S-Bahn stations, the customer service centres, the private ticket outlets of the MVV and BOB as well as in the MVV regional buses. The IsarCard Semester is only valid in combination with a valid student ID (not your certificate of matriculation) and an official photo ID. The IsarCard Semester can be purchased every semester, so that two IsarCard Semester tickets per year cover two semesters, that is an entire year of transportation. The IsarCard Semester is only valid if presented with a valid student ID containing the MVV logo. It cannot be returned after the semester has begun (e.g. following de-registration).
Please note! Important information:
Students of the University of Applied Sciences Munich
When purchasing the IsarCard Semester at a ticket machine, all students of the Munich University of Applied Sciences are required to enter - instead of their matriculation number - the 11-digit card number on the back of their student ID.
If, by accident, you enter your matriculation number or the 6-digit number on the front of your student ID, the ticket will in fact be printed, but will be invalid!
In case you entered a wrong number, the ticket can be exchanged at the following locations depending on where it was purchased:
- MVG machine (ticket and receipt both have the MVG logo on them, blue machines):
Exchange possible at the MVG customer service centre Poccistraße or Marienplatz
- DB machine (ticket and receipt both have the DB logo on them, red machines):
Exchange possible at the S-Bahn Service Centre Munich (Ostbahnhof) or at Munich Central Station
Should your student ID have been replaced by the University of Applied Sciences, e.g. due to a technical defect, its 11-digit card number will also have changed. Thus, your already existing IsarCard Semester ticket will become invalid and must be exchanged immediately. To do so, please go to a service centre of the MVV transport association for a free replacement of your IsarCard Semester ticket. Apart from your ticket, you will require a confirmation of the University of Applied Sciences that your student ID has been replaced.
- Be sure to hold onto both your ticket and the receipt you will receive at the ticket machines or service centres. Store the receipt carefully and separately from the ticket (ideally at home!), as it will be required as proof of purchase should you lose your ticket. A one-time re-issue will be granted in exchange for the receipt and an administration fee.
- Please do not laminate your IsarCard Semester, so that it remains clearly legible. Covers for the IsarCard Semester will soon be available at the MVV outlets or can be obtained with the student councils.
- Should you lose your IsarCard Semester, please enquire at the central collection point. For all universities, this is the reception area in the Studentenhaus in Leopoldstraße 15. Should you find a ticket or a receipt, this is also the place to hand it in. (U3/U6 Giselastraße, red entrance next to the "Schweinchenbau").
Further information on purchasing the IsarCard Semester and its associated tariffs is available on the MVV website.
If you have further questions regarding the general concept and implementation of the solidarity fee of the MVV semester ticket, please have a look at the frequently asked questions and the answers on this page.
Should you then still have a question, please contact us.
Tel: + 49 89 38196-201
Fax: + 49 89 38196-133
Here you can find the current “Bylaws of the Munich Student Union regarding an additional monetary contribution for the access of students to local public transport” as a German pdf file. Please note: Only the official publication of the bylaws at the universities is binding for the effectiveness of the bylaws in accordance with § 7.
Contact details for members of the press
If you are a representative of the press, please send your request directly to the Corporate Communication of the Munich Student Union.
Tel: + 49 89 38196-148